Wednesday, 11 May 2011

A Small Grand Tour - Cherasco 1796

I am sorry for not blogging for the last couple of weeks but I have been working on a new set of 1796 clothing for customers and myself.  Most of my current stock starts from 1805 so I had to go back to the drawing board with my patterns. Fashion in this period was still in transition. The dresses have the cutting ideas and shaping from the late 1780s and early 1790s but were evolving to fit over a natural form rather than structured underpinnings. I also wanted to use this opportunity to put into practise my study of cut and construction techniques from my work on 'Napoleon and the Empire of Fashion'.

For myself I made two day dresses plus I updated an overgown which I made in 2006. The images below illustrate my inspiration and starting point for the clothing (images from Kyoto, Napoleon and the Empire of Fashion, Journal des Luxus und der Moden, The Cut of Women's Clothes)





 On the surface the cutting looked simple but once I got started  I found the sleeves quite tricky. The placement of the sharp 'V' shape point on the back was a challenge and it was at this point I decided to set it in by hand. I also added linen under flaps to support the bodice. These were separate from the bodice and skirt.

Bodice and sleeve pattern pieces.


The top edge of the skirt was turned over, gathered, then whipped onto the bodice. This technique (which is period correct ) helped the drape of the skirt and stopped the gathers from collapsing. Below are some photos from the event and the results. A special thanks should go to Cristina Barreto and Martin Lancaster for organising our part of the event. Cristina also organised the making of the shoes and hats.




 I will post more details soon.........




6 comments:

Barbee said...

Thanks for the detail pics. Might help me wrap my head around a late 19c ball tunic I've wanted to make for ages.
What great fabric on that spotted day dress! And I LUV the purple gown. Cool sleeve detail. The hats are great -- how nice to have a hat and shoe fairy. I noticed your red shoes on fb. Wondered where you found such goodies. I wonder why there are more reproduction shoe options out there. I'd love pairs from the 1770s, 1780s, 1790s, 1800 and 1810s. Oh and a few from the 1910s too. :)

Lovely work as usual. Thanks for sharing!

Kleidung um 1800 said...

The dresses are absolutely stunning!!! Love, love, love the Kyoto one! And it's always a treat to be able to follow the construction - thank you!
Sabine

Fiorina said...

I said it once, and I say it again: LOVELY.

And thank you for being such a nice roommate :-))

7d488b40-64aa-11e0-a4dc-000bcdcb2996 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandi said...

The white day gown is beautiful...they all are...but the white one is my favourite.
I'm with Brabee on the shoe thing!

ZipZip said...

Goodness, what a dress and robe. They are spot on. Yes, whipping the skirt on really does help the skirt gathers to do the right thing.

Very happy to see the construction: helps me visualize what's going on.

Very best,
Natalie