Friday, 29 July 2011

The Classical Influence.

I've been working on a couple of films recently around London so on my day off I decided to take a quick look at the British Museum.

Everyone knows the influence of classicism on early French 'Empire' and to some extent late Georgian fashion in England. However, I was absolutely fascinated and inspired to come face to face with  actual pieces of Greek and Roman sculpture and jewellery which inspired the fashion, hairstyles and jewellery in this period.

Typical Classical Inspired dress and jewellery of the 'Empire' period

Roman diadem - British Museum

Late 18th Century Cut Steel diadem




Roman Bust with interesting hairstyle
 


Costume Parisien 1811
 


Roman Necklace with amethyst and emerald stones- British Museum


Detail of Roman Diadem - British Museum


3 comments:

ZipZip said...

Neat to see commparisons between Roman and Neoclassical items!

Especially like the last diadem, which to my untrained eye look like a representation of olive twigs and olives?

Very best,
Natalie

Sandi said...

The amethyst necklace is beautiful, and it's amazing to think that it's so old and not actually Empire.

Fichu1800 said...

I love the jewellery collection in the British Museum. I was really inspired and you are right Sandi, it is hard to believe some of these items are 2000 years old!