Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Inspirational Art- Painter Vladimir Borovikovsky

As a maker of historical clothing and researcher I'm always looking at portraiture for inspiration and clues about dress construction. I came across this Russian artist and loved the detail in his paintings. I feel some new dresses in the pipeline!

You can read more about the artist here.


I hope she did not get paint on her beautiful shawl!


Detail of redingote, probably made in percale which was fashionable in this period. You can see similar examples in Costume Parisien



I love this sleeve detail. The dress is probably made of embroidered silk tulle or lace.
You can see here exactly how the sleeve is made on a band with two rows of piping at the top and edge. Also you can see clearly the use of a drawstring cord used on the edge of the bodice neckline to control the fullness and fitting.


6 comments:

Kleidung um 1800 said...

Dear Natalie,
another beautiful find - a lovely inspiration! The white Redingote is sublime.
But - is it only me - or doesn't her dog looks like a superwoolly sheep?!
Sabine

Fichu1800 said...

Thanks Sabine,
Yes the dog is very unusual :-) Perhaps one of my followers could identify the breed?

Lizzie said...

Beautiful clothes. I think the dog could be either a French Poodle that hasn't been clipped or Spanish Water Spaniels look a bit like the one in the painting. x

Lauren Hairston said...

I absolutely adore the collar in the first painting. I want one!

Sandi said...

I love the white redingote, too. The scalloped edges would grab my attention any time!

Nereida said...

Lovely painting and an amazing source of inspiration. I?m completely in love whith the white redingote.

Nereida