Monday, 19 December 2011

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

I'm sorry for the long absence from my blog. The last month or so has been really hectic as I've been working away from home on various projects.

I am really pleased  that the National Trust has posted a database of their collections online. I am sure this will become another valuable resource for costume reference and inspiration.



http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/


The images below are from the database online. These items interested me as the pelisse and bonnet are also illustrated in 'Costume in Detail 1730-1930' by Nancy Bradfield at the back of the book.


Wedding Pelisse 1814 - National Trust Collection

Wedding Bonnet 1814 - National Trust Collection.


I was intrigued that a dress reputed to have belonged to the Empress Josephine was sold in Paris for
120 000€!


Courtesy of Osenat Auctioneers, France
 Whilst the dress looks impressive there were certain details that do not seem right. In particular the embroidery technique and the seam in the centre front. The bodice is certainly 20th century and the border of decoration on the hem has been added at a later date. Looking at the style of embroidery in particular, the beaded motifs are unusual as decoration for a 'court dress' in this period. The regulation of court dress during the Premiere Empire was very strict and the embroidery was usually made in gold or silver with pearls, spangles and sometimes precious stones.  I wish to have had the opportunity to examine it in person.

I wanted to take this opportunity to wish all my friends and followers a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year! Thank you for all your comments and support. I have  been very inspired by the work of fellow bloggers throughout the year. I was also so pleased to meet many of you in person during my visit to Williamsburg in March.

See you in 2012!

3 comments:

Kleidung um 1800 said...

Thank you for sharing the link...and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!!! I'm looking forward to following your projects in 2012 :)))

Sabine

Fichu1800 said...

Dear Sabine,

Thank you for all your wonderful inspiration throughout the year. I look forward to seeing your next projects too.

Natalie :-)

ogtc said...

i love the all dress very much what a color combination and lovely floral design.
apparel exporters from india
indian garment exporters