Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Christmas Greetings, a treasure from the closet and some modern bits.....

I wanted to wish all my friends and followers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Before I take a break over the holidays I wanted to share some photos with you.

The first is a lovely silk/linen dress from the early 1900s in my collection. Sadly the silk is quite damaged but it is nice to study the details. It is mostly machine made. The bodice is shaped by pin tucks.



Embroidered panel with metal threads and tiny paste stones.

Covered button detail.

Side back fastening with metal hooks and handmade loops.

Loop detail.

Hem detail. Machine made with the fullness pleated at intervals. Interior seams left raw.



Finally I do sometimes like to use some of my antique treasures in my clothing. The first example are a pair of cut steel decorations which I used to decorate the back of a modern top. I did this by extending and finishing the opening in the centre back. I then mounted each piece on black tulle for support and hand stitched them to either side of the opening.





I joined these two military cuffs decorated with goldwork embroidery to make a belt.




Thank you for all the positive comments and suggestions throughout the year. See you in 2014!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Wow! I love the dress. Thank you for sharing some of the beautiful details.

A belt made from cuffs, how very steampunk of you, Natalie! ;-)

Fichu1800 said...

Thanks Sandi! I think I'm heading in the steam punk direction ;-)